Lynton and Barnstaple Railway
The Lynton & Barnstaple Railway in Devon opened in 1898 and closed in 1935. Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Trust have opened one mile and have applied for planning permission to open another 4.5 miles. Eventually they intend to open virtually the entire line between these two towns about 19 miles, which is considered the best narrow gauge (2 feet between the tracks or 60 cm) in England.
Along with E.A.S.T Restoration they have been busy rebuilding carriages in Essex, all that are left of the 16 originals built in 1897 by the Bristol wagon and carriage works Co Ltd. When it closed in 1935 bits of the wooden carriages were used as sheds, etc the more valuable steel frame and wheels being sent for scrap. Most of the brass fittings went the same way.
They were however able to salvage some of the original brass fittings which FSE Foundry were then able to use as patterns to reproduce the necessary brass fittings for a number of completed carriages. They have rebuilt four of these historic wooden carriages so far, (Numbers 7, 11, 16 and an additional carriage No 17 built by the railway itself in 1911.) and are now working on No 5.
Additional information is available at our website www.lynton-rail.co.uk